Friday, August 20, 2010

Fruited Tuna Salad

I haven't always been a fan of combining sweet and savory, such as fruit in green salads, but it is definitely growing on me. This recipe I adapted from a version I saw in Taste of Home and kind of threw it together on a whim for lunch. I had actually seen it awhile ago but was reluctant to try it. I was so surprised at how much I loved this, especially the combination of honey and mayonnaise which I wasn't sure about when making it. The crunch of the celery, apples and almonds is my favorite part. I enjoyed mine as a sandwich  but you can also use a pita or wrap. This was truly yummy and good for you! Give it a try!



What You Need:
1/2 cup mayonnaise {I use Smart Balance Light but fat free would work as well}
1 tablespoon honey
12 oz white albacore water packed tuna, drained
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
1 medium apple, chopped
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/8 tsp. salt and pepper
alfalfa sprouts or mixed green lettuce
whole wheat bread or pita

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and honey. Stir in tuna, apple, pecans, celery and cranberries. Gently fold in the oranges. Top bread or pita with greens followed by the tuna salad. Add salt and pepper to taste, if you like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment