Monday, November 22, 2010

Tortellini Soup

We absolutely loved this recipe that I found at Real Mom Kitchen! I've said a lot that I make a lot of home made soup and I love adding new ones to our rotation. This recipe is not only yummy and easy, but affordable. I will tell you this makes a lot so you may need to cut it in half or freeze half (without added tortellini). You need a 6 or 7 quart pot to fit everything. I actually like making doubles. It doesn't take extra work and you have a meal for another night in the freezer.


What You Need:
1 lb. browned ground beef
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 onion
salt and pepper
3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
8 cups beef broth {I use water with buillon}
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans {I used white just due to preference}
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 packet Good Seasoning dry Italian Dressing Mix
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1 (20 oz) pkg Cheese Tortellini
grated parmesan cheese {optional}

Directions:
Brown  hamburger in a large skillet with the onion, garlic and enough of salt and pepper to taste. Put the canned tomatoes in a blender and blend them until smooth. {I also blended some of the carrots and zucchini here just to hide from my picky eaters}. Put the meat mixture, blended tomatoes and all other ingredients EXCEPT the tortellini  into a large soup pot. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for at least 20 minutes. {Mine simmered for half the day since I cook at noon for dinner}. Partially cover your pot. In a separate medium sized sauce pan cook the tortellini according to package directions.  If you are freezing a portion, separate it now, before adding the pasta. When the tortellini is al dente, drain the water from the tortellini and add it to the soup you are serving now. Serve with grated parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top of each bowl! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment