Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sweet & Sour Chicken

I realize all of my main dish posts lately are chicken. I'm not sure if that is just coincidence or what but I apologize if you are looking for something else! I can tell you though, that this is probably the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever had. Besides the fact that it is delicious, it is much healthier than take-out or the frozen variety since it is baked rather than fried, does not contain MSG and would have significantly less sodium than anything out there. It is high in sugar. You could reduce that by using a low sugar ketchup or using a sugar substitute. Add whatever veggies you like and serve over rice. I like to combine half white and half brown. I also doubled the sauce because I like extra. I poured half over the chicken to bake and put half in a saucepan on the stovetop. I needed to thicken the stovetop half and just added 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water. One of my new favorite recipes!


*Printable Version*

What You Need: {Chicken}

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil {I prefer olive or canola}
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. {I like to do mine while they are somewhat frozen. Makes them so much easier to cut!}  Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. I browned mine in a heavy bottomed, dutch oven style pot that could also be used in the oven, making this a one pan meal. If you do not have that kind of pot,  place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients {below} together and pour over chicken. You'll need to deglaze your pan a little to get all the good thickening cornstarch into the sauce.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar {I used white wine vinegar}
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes so it is evenly coated with the sauce. Add veggies, serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment