Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pasta with Prosciutto & Peas

I hope everyone had a wonderful {holiday}weekend. I know I did. It was so full of activities I didn't have a minute to sit down and post and I have so many recipes I want to share. I noticed it has been awhile since I posted a main dish, so I'll start with that. I think in the summer I am drawn to lighter things like salads, salsas, drinks, and tend to lean away from the heavier foods. But I know we still all have to cook dinner out there so here goes! This is what we had for dinner just last night! Yummy.

This recipe comes from the cookbook Everday Food: Great Food Fast, with just a couple of my variations.


What You Need:
12 oz. pasta {They called for fettuccine but I think any kind of heavy noodle would be great}
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream {I used closer to 1/2 cup}
1 10 oz package of frozen peas, thawed {or fresh}
8 slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise and then sliced crosswise. {about 1 cup}
Zest of two lemons
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese {plus extra for serving}
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook the pasta according to package directions in salted water until just al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain and return to the pot. In the meantime, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, peas, and prosciutto. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat until peas are heated through, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.

Add the pasta to the skillet with the sauce. Add the parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Add enough of the reserved pasta water a little at a time to thin the sauce as desired. Serve immediately. Top with additional parmesan, if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment