Sunday, July 18, 2010

Southwest Rice and Bean Salad

I will tell you, I am not a fan of sandwiches for lunch so I like new things to try. This is a nice change up on a salad but it is so filling it is easily a candidate for a main dish. Very tasty and healthy, I think you'll like this. I found it over at My Kitchen Cafe. Now for me, I am the only one in the house who will eat a salad so next time I will cut the recipe in half. I ended up with way too much for just one person. But this would be a fabulous recipe for a potluck or other get together!


Photo courtesy My Kitchen Cafe


6 cups cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
2 teaspoons salt
1 (16-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16-oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 (12-oz.) can corn, drained
4 green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
4 pickled jalapeno pepper rounds {I find near the salsa and diced green chiles in a jar}
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in blender until peppers are finely minced. Toss with salad. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment