Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

I don't know about you, but fall is in full swing at our house. It is already jacket weather, I've broken out my stash of canned pumpkin {it gets hard to find in the upcoming months!} and I've been wanting comfort foods more often. I am so excited to start sharing soup recipes, everything pumpkin, butternut squash and casseroles. I have a recipe for sweet potato casserole that is going to blow your mind, seriously. But I think I'll hang onto that one for a bit because it is perfect for Thanksgiving.

For now, though,  I actually came across this recipe by accident and had forgotten all about it. It comes from an issue of Real Simple magazine. I found a new love in sweet potatoes. Last year I replaced them with white in a beef stew and it added this amazing creamy, rich, slightly sweet flavor that was awesome paired with the beef. This dish is the same way. You'll find the sweet potatoes add a depth of flavor and texture that is sort of addicting. This side would be great with really anything!


What You Need:
2 medium sweet potatoes (1 pound peeled)
2 medium russet potatoes (1 pound peeled)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
2 ½ cups heavy cream
Butter for the foil

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice potatoes either by hand or in a food processor fitted with the thinnest (2 millimeter) slicing disk.

In a shallow 1 ½ quart baking dish, toss the potatoes, garlic, thyme, ¾ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Add the cream and press gently to submerge the potatoes.

Cover the dish with buttered foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes more. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment