Monday, September 27, 2010

Spiced Zucchini Cake with Creamy Maple Frosting

I think that this cake needs a name that really describes how wonderful it is, but I wasn't creative enough to come up with one. This recipe is so fall-perfect {in spite of our temperatures not being very fall-like}. It is super moist, has just the right amount of spice and the frosting is perfect. When I read that the frosting had maple syrup in it, I was sure I wouldn't like that and was going to skip it but didn't and I am so glad. Trust me- it is awesome just the way it is. I found this recipe at My Baking Addiction and only made one slight change. I will warn you- this recipe calls for one ingredient that is expensive- cardamom. While I decided to splurge and use it, the source says you can omit it if you reallly need to. You can add it to your spice rack and find some other yummy uses for it.


What You Need:
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger { I used regular ground ginger}
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt {I use regular salt}
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup shredded zucchini

 Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.

2. In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg,  ginger, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

3. Combine oil, applesauce, eggs and sugars; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Add zucchini; stir until thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared 8×8 inch baking pan. 

4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

5. For the icing: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and cardamom until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix well. Frost cake with icing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment