Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I consider myself good at the soup thing. So, I get happy when I add one more kind of soup to my file. I've kind of been saving soup recipes for the cold weather, although I have shared a couple. This is a new one that was so delicious. As in, I was sad that I was too full to eat anymore of it. I will be loving this all week long though since no one else in my house eats broccoli! Yay for me getting all the leftovers! This is one of the easiest soups I've made from scratch and the best part is- no cream soups or other really processed things to add. We had our soup tonight in a bread bowl. I saw a recipe for making your own bread bowls but given my history with bread making decided just to buy those at the bakery. Good call for me. If you want to make your own, have at it. This soup is plenty thick enough to go in a bread bowl and I don't know what could be better than that combo? Yum, yum!

What You Need:
2 cups chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
2 cups  extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese
steamed  broccoli florets {the amount of broccoli really your preference – I used a full bag of Bird's Eye Steamfresh and that was heavy on the broccoli}

Directions:
Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1 minute. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper. Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken. Next add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and steamed broccoli. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment