Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Easy & Delicious Fried Rice

I love when a recipe can be extremely simple and fast, but flavorful and versatile all at the same time. Not an easy combination to find! This past week a local television show (Good Things Utah) demonstrated a recipe for fried rice that I really wanted to try. I've made other, more complicated versions and this one seemed really easy and didn't involve specialty ingredients. I enjoyed it but did make a few adaptations for my personal taste. Click here to be linked to the original recipe, and below is my slightly different version. This recipe makes a huge amount, just so that you are aware! I think this would be a great use for leftover ham or chicken, especially since you probably have all of the other ingredients {rice, eggs, frozen veggies} on hand. You can also add whatever vegetables you like, including broccoli, snow peas or water chestnuts. I added bean sprouts to mine. I also liked the idea of grating the carrots since they take a significant amount of time to cook if you slice them. However, if you want them larger, I would think you could pre-boil them or use frozen. I love this recipe and will be using it again!


*Printable Version*

What You Need:
2 cups cubed ham {Note that the orginal recipe uses chicken and shrimp would be great also}
6 scrambled eggs
2 carrots, grated
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup butter
1-2 garlic cloves, minced OR 1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cups cooked rice {I prefer to cook mine in chicken broth rather than water}
1/4 cup soy sauce plus more to taste, if you like

Directions:
~Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside. I did not use instant.
~Scramble 6 eggs in a large pan and set aside.
~In a large wok or separate frying pan, sautee onion in a tablespoon of oil until soft and add carrots and cubed ham. Add frozen peas and bean sprouts. Add rice and soy sauce to the mixture.
~Melt 1/2 cup butter. Add garlic and ginger to the butter, stir, and add to rice mixture.
~Mix all together well and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add more soy sauce to taste and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment