Thursday, February 17, 2011

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Lately I have been into making homemade bread, something I have not ever been great at doing, but am always determined to get better. Recently I saw this incredibly easy recipe posted on The Polka Dot Umbrella and it sounded so easy I had to try it. On a side note, this is such a fun blog. Jenni has put together a place you can find ideas for sewing, furniture refinishing, crafts, recipes and all kinds of fun things, so make sure you check it out.


Anyway, twice last week on two separate sites I found people posting bread recipes that they got from a book called "Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day", including this one. I have tried both and we all loved them. I think its a book I need to get. I will be posting some garlic pull-aparts that were awesome.


The one thing I did do differently for this recipe was to use my stand mixer with the dough hook, but you do not have to. I am just too pregnant and lazy to stir that dough on my own. This bread was really effortless. It makes a nice, hearty wheat bread that has been great for toast and sandwiches.




*Printable Version*


Makes {2} 9 inch loaves
What You Need:
1/4 cup cooking oil 
1/2 cup honey
3 cups lukewarm water
1.5 tablespoons yeast 
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt OR 1 tablespoon regular salt
6 1/2 cups whole wheat flour


Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your bread pans. Combine the oil, honey, water, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl or in your stand mixer bowl. Begin adding the flour several cups at a time until you have a very sticky and wet dough. Resist the urge to bring it to a dry dough that pulls away from the sides as you might be used to. Once everything is combined well, cover with a towel and let rise for 2 to 3 hours. 


Divide the dough in half, and shape into two loaves, placing them into your prepared pans. Rub a small amount of oil over the tops of each loaf. Bake 45-55 minutes. {Mine were done at 45 and the original stated 52}. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for trying out the bread from our blog. Also, thank you for the sweet words about our blog!
    Shauntel
    http://the-polka-dot-umbrella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete