Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I love making soups at home because I control the salt and other ingredients. If you enjoy Chili's Restaurant Chicken Enchilada soup, you will love this recipe. It would be difficult to tell the difference between this homemade one and Chili's. This is not a difficult recipe and don't worry about finding the masa harina flour. I had no difficulty locating it in a smaller grocery store right next to the regular flour. This one is tried and true. I've done it three times with perfect results and no frustration!



What You Need:
1 tablespoon oil
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup masa harina flour (This is a must)
3 cups water
1 cup red enchilada sauce
16 ounces Velveeta cheese (Just trust me on this. If you have a real problem with this, you could try shredded monterey jack or sharp cheddar, but I can't promise the texture or flavor would be the same).
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin

 
Pico de Gallo:

2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro
1 pinch salt


Garnish:
Shredded cheddar cheese
Corn tortilla chips
Whatever garnish you like- sour cream, etc.






Directions:

-Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat



-Add diced onion and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.



-Add chicken broth.



-Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.



-Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.



-Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cubed cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.



-Add chicken




Reduce heat and simmer soup for 20-30 minutes or until thick. I also like to add some shredded sharp cheddar to melt in.



Top with garnish and pico de gallo!




2 comments:

  1. this is one of my favorite soups! You just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, be careful! I can not stop eating this once it is in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete