Saturday, June 5, 2010

Best Ever Brownies

I've mentioned before that baking is not really my strength. I tend toward things that start with a boxed mix or that are super simple. That being said, I've been trying and thought I'd make some from-scratch brownies. The first recipe I tried ended up in the garbage after one bite. I'm not sure if it was the recipe or something I did wrong, but they were awful. The very next day I tried this recipe from Taste of Home and it was a complete success. I'm telling you, so good I proclaim I will never make brownies from a box mix ever again! There is just no comparison on this one. In fact, I've been wanting more since I made them weeks and weeks ago but haven't allowed it because I couldn't leave them alone! These would be perfect to take along to your next barbecue. (That's all we've been doing these past weeks, how about you?)


What You Need:
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter
¾ cup baking cocoa
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Frosting:
6 tbs butter, softened
2 and 2/3 cups powdered sugar
½ cup baking cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
¼ to 1/3 cup milk

Directions:
Melt butter in a microwavable bowl and stir in cocoa.  Let cool. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture. Mix well. Spread into greased 13 by 9 baing pan. Bake at 350 for 25-28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

For frosting, cream butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add milk a little at a time until the frosting achieves spreading consistency. Spread over cooled brownies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment