Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pimiento Mac & Cheese

Okay so there's nothing like going from the completely healthy last post to this rich, comfort food for a change! I'll just say up front how this is not in the healthy category in any way! However if you are looking to indulge, this is a great way to do it. This is yet another recipe I've tried from The Deen Bros. cookbook and it was great, just  as the others I've tried. My husband really liked this and I'm wishing someone would come and get it out of my kitchen because I can't stop eating it! I did make some variations, only because I had several other kinds of cheese sitting around my fridge that I wanted to use up. The original recipe calls for 4 cups of grated cheddar and I had about 2 cups. To make the other half, I had shredded parmesan, swiss and fontina and just mixed all of that with the cheddar and monterey jack. I am sure no matter what you want to use it will turn out great. I do want to note this recipe makes a lot so plan on leftovers or feeding a crowd.



What You Need:
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
4 cups grated cheddar cheese (1 pound or 16 oz)
2 cups grated monterey jack cheese (1/2 pound or 8 oz)
1 cup mayonnaise
6 tablespoons chopped pimiento
2 teaspoons grated onion (or onion powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pepper to taste
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Process the cream cheese in a food processor until smooth. (I used a hand mixer). Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese (or whatever mixture you are using), all of the monterey jack cheese, the remaining ingredients and stir into the cream cheese to combine. Combine the cheese mixture and the macaroni and spread into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until the casserole is golden and bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment