Thursday, December 23, 2010

Homemade Peppermint Patties {Last Minute Gift Idea}

It seems like I said I was finished with gifts and wrapping weeks ago, however at least every few days I remember one more thing I needed or an unexpected gift arrives. You know how it goes. I ended up needing a few gifts last minute and after a painful hour wandering a busy chain store and finding nothing but crowds and frustration, I decided my kitchen was a better place to be. I saw this recipe at Savory Sweet Life and decided to try. You could have these made in the time it takes to drive somewhere and back and it will be so much more impressive and thoughtful. If you are done with Christmas gifts, these would still be great for a holiday party. I'm thinking New Year's Eve! I didn't document the process as well as she did, so I've included some of her pictures with mine.

Printable Version

What You Need:
1 14 oz. can of condensed milk
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons shortening

Directions:
Add condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, and peppermint extract to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything on medium speed with mixer until ingredients are combined. Continue adding powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until you have a dough that is pliable but firm. At this point I covered and refrigerated the dough for about 30 minutes but you do not have to. Remove from the fridge and roll 3/4" balls with the palms of your hands. Press each ball down slightly and place on a parchment covered sheet. The first time I flattened mine too much. They should look like this:


Place the sheet into the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Now you can make your chocolate coating. All this requires is melting the chocolate chips in the microwave {I do 1 minute to start, stir, and then 30 second increments}. Or you can use a double boiler on the stovetop. Thin the melted chocolate with the melted shortening. Let cool just a couple of minutes and then remove your disks from the freezer. Now you will place the disk on a fork and dip into the chocolate coating like this:

Place coated disks back onto the parchment and allow them to set. I put mine in the fridge overnight but you do not need to let them set that long. That's it! While they were setting up, I put together some cute bags to deliver them. {Now you will see the difference in my horrible photography skills!}

Here is my finished product: {Next time I want to add crushed candy cane or peppermints to the chocolate tops before they set}


Wrap them in tissue paper & tie:


I used paper bags. Fold down the top, cut slits the size of your ribbon and run the ribbon through. {After placing your chocolates inside the bag, of course!}:

Now give them away if you can avoid eating them all! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment