Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Citrus & Lime Pulled Pork

This was a new recipe and I added it to our regular dinner rotation right away! We loved this version of shredded pork so much I have been wanting it ever since. Now this recipe has you starting with a full 2 pound pork loin but I am almost always using leftover pork loin or beef roast when I do pulled pork. So the first night we will have the roast, and then the next night or so I shred it and use it for something like this. Anyway, there isn't much else to say besides that this is awesome. Besides in tortillas, I think this would make a fabulous salad, sandwich, or it would also be great on navajo tacos. I will be posting a recipe for the fry bread soon. You will not be sorry with this one!



 I usually note where I found the orginal recipe but I can't remember! I know there were versions on several different sites including Food Network.

What You Need:
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 pork loin (~2 pounds)
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth or stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp honey
1 orange, halved and juiced
1 lime, halved and juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
Garnishes as desired

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325°F (if not using crock pot)
Combine the spices (oregano, chili powder, cumin), pork, onion chicken broth/stock, tomato paste, honey, orange and lime juice. Add to crock pot or oven safe pot.
Cook until the pork is tender and easily shreds. Close to serving time, remove the pork loin from the pot and shred the meat with forks. Return to the pot and let it cook in the liquid for about another 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired, but I don't think you will find the need to.

*Times*: If you are using the crock pot, times are about 4 hours on high, 6-8 on low. In the oven, you should be fully cooked at about 2 hours.

Serve with garnishes of your choice and tortillas. I've mentioned before our favorite kind are the uncooked that you crisp up on your own. Don Julio has a version of these in the refrigerated section and Coscto sells a brand called Tortilla Land. Enjoy!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment